[xubuntu-users] How to diagnose loss of X/GUI after latest kernel upgrade in 8.10?

Robert Spanjaard spamtrap at arumes.com
Thu Jul 2 19:27:47 UTC 2009

On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 20:19:48 +0100, Chris G wrote:

>> There's no .xsession-errors, it hasn't got that far.  Also, as I
>> reported, there don't seem to be any problems in /var/Xorg.0.log.
>>
>> It's an Intel chipset motherboard.
>>
>>     Intel Corporation 4 Series chipset
>>
> The only odd thing I can see in /var/Xorg.0.log is:-
>
>     (II) intel(0): Setting screen physical size to 304 x 228
>
> I suspect that there's no way my monitor is going to manage that
> resolution!

"Physical size" is the size of your screen in milimeters. Your system uses
that data, combined with the width and height in pixels, to calculate the
PPI of your screen. That information, in turn, is used for things like
setting the right font sizes.

--
Regards, Robert                                      http://www.arumes.com