[xubuntu-users] Add new resolution on Toshiba Portege

David Curtis dcurtis at uniserve.com
Thu Jan 22 16:33:25 UTC 2009

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:41:44 +0100
Marko Oreskovic <markoresko at gmail.com> wrote:

> David Curtis wrote:
> > <jim at multilink.com.au> wrote:
> >> Have installed Xubuntu on a old Toshiba Portege and all looks good, except..
> >> cannot get the display to use all the screen.  The max resolution avaialbe
> > Oh, and open up a terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal), type 'sudo mousepad /etc/X11/xorg.conf' at the prompt, to manually edit the file.
>
> Since there is no xorg.conf in newer revisions of Xorg in recent Ubnutu,
> does anyone knows proper system way of making changes to X settings
> regarding resolution, etc, without using xorg.conf?

Why does everybody think this? Both my 8.04 and my 8.10 installs have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

To quote from the Ubuntu wiki:
"While xorg.conf is largely empty these days, it can still be used for setting up resolutions."[1]

Xorg makes on-the-fly decisions and _then_ parses xorg.conf. Xorg.conf overrides what xorg thinks is best. It is most definitely in use. If your old Portege is as old/similar to my old Satellite, xorg picks the wrong refresh rates for 1024x768. I'm using 8.04 on it and I definitely need a customized xorg.conf. I also need to specify the vesa driver instead of the one for my particular brand of chipset.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution last updated 2008-11-06.
--
David Curtis <dcurtis at uniserve.com>