[xubuntu-users] My one problem with Xubuntu

leegold leegold at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 6 19:59:45 UTC 2009

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 14:23:11 +0100, "Vincent"
<mailinglists at vinnl.nl> said:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:34 AM, leegold <leegold at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > If there's a website that jams up and freezes the browser in this
> > case FF - Then that freezes up Xunbuntu to the point that nothing
> > will unfreeze it and a hard reboot is necessary. I've experienced
> > this repeatedly, and it's the one major problem I find with Xubuntu.
> > Also if an update repository freezes in the middle of something (a
> > similiar scenario vs. the web browser) the same thing happens - the
> > whole Xubuntu desktop implementation locks and nothing fixes it
> > except for a hard reboot w/the hardware on/off button. I find no
> > other Linux distro to my liking so far except for Xubuntu - I have
> > tried about twenty so far but this behaviour is really nasty.
> >
> > Lee G.
> >

> Of course this shouldn't happen, unfortunately I have no idea how to
> fix it. However, to save you from rebooting in the future, have you
> tried pressing Ctrl+Alt+Esc (the cursor will change into a cross with
> which you should be able to click on a window to force it to close) or
> if that doesn't work Ctrl+Alt+Backspace (which will kill the xserver
> and in the process all your running programs, after which the xserver
> will be restarted, bringing you back to the login screen - all unsaved
> data will be lost, of course).

The desktop freezes, no keyboard/key combination will do anything since
the whole implementation freezes.
Turning JavaScript on/off has no fixing effect.

I tried it again and it consistently freezes w/FF3 in Xubuntu 8.10 but
not w/FF in XP. The problem site is:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0306414/episodes#season-5

After about five minutes of tooling around, following links, it freezes.
First it gets slow and then will eventually freeze. Sometimes I wait a
few minutes and it unfreezes. I think no matter how slow the site is or
what issues there are w/Xubuntu and FF, it should not cripple the
desktop - but that's what is happening, for one reason or another the
browser gets slow and that affects the whole desktop. Why the slowness
doesn't seem to happen  in XP I have no idea.

I've tried Opera, but had freezes in Opera and Xubuntu, but only Opera
itself freezes, not like FF where the whole desktop freezes. And Opera
is not as customizable as FF for my purposes.

If no one else can reproduce this it's OK - they were major slowness
issues w/FF3 and older versions of Xubuntu/Ubuntu in my experiences and
maybe this is related, but I have not idea. thanks for trying to help.