[xubuntu-users] Unable to unmount thumb drives

raevol raevol at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 09:58:38 UTC 2009

Hey all-

I'm running xubuntu 9.10, and I've got an issue with thumb drives. I put in
a drive, copy some files to it, wait for the file copy to finish, and then
try to unmount it, in thunar or from the desktop icon. The menu I click
"unmount" the right click menu freezes, and I get a notification that
there's still data being written. That's all fine, but it never completes
the writing. I never get a notification that the drive is safe to remove. I
can right click again after a bit and try to mount the drive, but then I get
a permissions error. If I unsafely remove the drive the files are not
properly copied.

I read something about the file system on the thumb drive needing to flush
and that not being reflected in the file manager progress. That's all fine
and good, but then how do I know when I can unmount the drive? Unmounting it
too early after the copy seems to lock it up like this, and I haven't tried
seeing if waiting for a long time will fix the problem.

Any suggestions? Sorry if this is a pack of unclear rambling, ask and I will
clarify as needed.

-Mickey