[xubuntu-users] Where to set up XkbOptions in 9.10 (for accented characters etc.)

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Dec 7 15:17:55 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 08:03:24AM -0700, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 13:06:06 +0000
> Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>
> > Where is the 'proper' place to set the compose key in xubuntu 9.10?
> >
> > I already have XKBOPTIONS="compose:rwin" in /etc/default/console-setup
> > but that only sets it for the alternate consoles.  Where should I set
> > XkbOptions (or whatever) so that I have a compose key in X?
> >
> > Should it still be set in xorg.conf?  Surely there should be a more
> > user friendly way of doing it.
> >

> That should be available automatically. When I install Xubuntu, I
> choose the keyboard layout as alternate international US. That makes
> the right-alt key the compose key. It sets it in /etc/default. When I
> am in X, the right and left shift keys do not allow the shifted keys
> without hitting space, since they are international keys. If I type a
> double quote, and do not hit space, it appears over the next letter, as
> in รค. This makes the compose key less useful, since it is automatic. I
> did have to learn to hit the space bar to keep from using all the
> internation letters, though.

I don't quite follow what you're saying.

Are you saying that when you hit the shift key then nothing appears
until you hit space?  That doesn't work for me, when I hit SHIFT plus
2 I just get a ".  What do you do when you want to type a " followed
by some text?  E.g. something "in quotes"?

--
Chris Green