[xubuntu-users] [Solved] Re: More login woes!

Preben Randhol randhol+xubuntu at pvv.org
Sat Dec 5 00:22:54 UTC 2009

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 12:33:23 -0700
Charlie Kravetz <cjk at teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

> Don't really have much help here. Unfortunately, Xubuntu 9.10 ships
> with the new GDM. apt-cache policy gives me the following:
>
> gdm:
>   Installed: 2.28.1-0ubuntu2
>   Candidate: 2.28.1-0ubuntu2
>   Version table:
>  *** 2.28.1-0ubuntu2 0
>         500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com karmic-updates/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      2.28.1-0ubuntu1 0
>         500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com karmic/main Packages
>
> which appears to be gdm 2.28. This version of GDM is written
> specifically for the Gnome environment, and was not the easiest to
> adapt for Xubuntu. Why X wouldn't know screen width should not have
> anything to do with it, should it?
>
> As for replacing it with slim, I have never used it and would not know
> where to begin.

I did another reinstall (Ubuntu is getting similar to Windows....) and
now it worked to install the gdm-2.20 package (after some editing of
the gdm.conf).

I'm using a tiling WM (dwm) so I need a login manager that can do
xsession logins.

--
Preben Randhol
«Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.»