[xubuntu-users] More login woes!

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Fri Dec 4 19:33:23 UTC 2009

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 20:03:09 +0100
Preben Randhol <randhol+xubuntu at pvv.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I reinstalled xubuntu on my asus Eee to change to ext4 filesystem. The
> problem now is that when I try to replace gdm with either gdm-2.20 or
> slim, the screen gets messed up (like X doesn't know the screen width)
> so I can only use the gdm that followed xubuntu. What has changed
> lately so that only gdm works? slim (same version) worked before and I
> thought the gdm-2.20 that karmic ships should work?
>
> The default gdm is relatively fast on fast stationary PCs, but
> extremely timeconsuming on netbooks. Also I cannot seem to get any
> other sessions than xfce and xterm in gdm. What gives?
>
> Thanks in advance for //any// hints!

Don't really have much help here. Unfortunately, Xubuntu 9.10 ships
with the new GDM. apt-cache policy gives me the following:

gdm:
  Installed: 2.28.1-0ubuntu2
  Candidate: 2.28.1-0ubuntu2
  Version table:
 *** 2.28.1-0ubuntu2 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com karmic-updates/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.28.1-0ubuntu1 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com karmic/main Packages

which appears to be gdm 2.28. This version of GDM is written
specifically for the Gnome environment, and was not the easiest to
adapt for Xubuntu. Why X wouldn't know screen width should not have
anything to do with it, should it?

As for replacing it with slim, I have never used it and would not know
where to begin.

--
Charlie Kravetz