[xubuntu-users] Using fvwm2 with xubuntu (or ubuntu)

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Aug 17 14:27:42 BST 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 02:53:07PM +0200, Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 12:06:00PM +0200, Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> >> Chris G wrote:
>
> > Because it might break something and this is my desktop system which I
> > need to have working.
> Sure. But what would you think happens to your working xfce
> system after you add fvwm2 to your installed software?
>
> Exactly: Nothing, it will work just as it did before, you
> will have another wm choice in your list of installed GUIs
> and that's about it.

I have had fvwm2 installed before, I used it for quite a while so I
sort of know all this.

> I don't have two systems to compare either,
> > currently I use xubuntu (i.e. xfce4 desktop), it's not trivial to
> > change to ubuntu (and gnome) just to see if fvwm2 acts differently in
> > that environment.
> why should you do this. Fvwm2 does not depend on gnome and
> vice versa. Actually it is one of the oldest wms and was
> invented decades before xfce, KDE, Gnome came into existence.

But there *must* be differences if you install fvwm2 when only gnome
is installed (i.e. an ubuntu system) as opposed to if you install
fvwm2 when only xfce is installed (i.e. an xubuntu system).  They have
different system configuration utilities which you *do* still need to
run even in fvwm2.

> > There are lots of (for example) configuration utilities which are
> > specific to either Gnome or Xfce and what I'm asking is how well these
> > integrate with fvwm2.  I.e. does the ubuntu fvwm2 installation use (or
> > try to use) any of these?  If it does it will probably work better whe
> > installed 'on top of' Ubuntu/Gnome rather than Xfce4.
> >
> AFAIK fvwm generally has no configuration utilities except
> manually changing the configuration file syntax.

Yes, I know how to configure fvwm2 (I probably still have the
configuration file from when I was using it before), but are you
saying that the fvwm2 installation on ubuntu (or, maybe different, on
xubuntu) will be totally unaware of the [x]ubuntu utilities?  Those
utilities are integral to the way ubuntu works and while you sometimes
can "do it yourself" it doesn't always work too well as the system's
utilities will 'argue' with what you have done.

An example I can think of is the keyring password utility which is a
daemon started up by gdm, presumably it will *still* get started up if
you change window manager to fvwm2, how will that integrate (or not)?
There are several other things I can think of too, e.g. Network Manager.

--
Chris Green