[xubuntu-users] Using fvwm2 with xubuntu (or ubuntu)

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Aug 17 10:15:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 12:06:00PM +0200, Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 11:24:25AM +0200, Steve Dodier wrote:
> >>    You would have an XFCE4 session with a custom WM, while with Ubuntu you'd
> >>    have a GNOME session with a custom WM.
> >
> > As in the session manager would be either the XFCE4 session manager or
> > the Gnome session manager?  Is it really just that simple?  Doesn't
> > fvwm2 do its own session management though?
> >
> > I'll ask on the fvwm mailing list too and see if they can throw any
> > light on the issue.
> >
> I do not understand, why you do not simply install and see.

Because it might break something and this is my desktop system which I
need to have working.  I don't have two systems to compare either,
currently I use xubuntu (i.e. xfce4 desktop), it's not trivial to
change to ubuntu (and gnome) just to see if fvwm2 acts differently in
that environment.

There are lots of (for example) configuration utilities which are
specific to either Gnome or Xfce and what I'm asking is how well these
integrate with fvwm2.  I.e. does the ubuntu fvwm2 installation use (or
try to use) any of these?  If it does it will probably work better whe
installed 'on top of' Ubuntu/Gnome rather than Xfce4.

--
Chris Green