[xubuntu-users] Catfish search problems and finding files

Lee Gold leegold at operamail.com
Tue Aug 11 20:55:10 UTC 2009

I have Python IDE called Idle installed.  I want to find a folder or file called:  idleib

9.04

I put it in Catfish and have File System as the search target. It might take a long time but I think it would find something. Instead I get "Fatal error search aborted" after a few seconds.

I'm having trouble locating things in Xubuntu. In XP I know it'll be either under C:\Python26 or in Program Files. In Linux I have no idea at this point. Also the searching seems not to be robust. In XP even though I have the indexing turned off, a search will in my experience be robust and "grind" it out to find the file or folder. What's up with this "fatal error" in Catfish?

Is there a place in Synaptic which keeps a record of where things are installed? Is there some way I can find out where things are installed? I could learn this by using Catfish a lot - but it has to be robust and simple. Folders(dirs) files - any object should be found. Are there Catfish alternatives or is the problem not Catfish? Also I prefer not to have indexing running in background, I just want a search or run indexing manually when I want if that'll help.

Thanks