[xubuntu-users] Goodie Goodie Yum Yum

Wed Oct 29 22:53:03 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 11:38 PM, David Collins
<david.8.collins at gmail.com>wrote:

>  Thanks for your patience, Vincent, and the clarification.
>
>  May I ask what kind of things you add? This might be useful for the
> Xubuntu
> Developers (for example, Xubuntu doesn't include a CD Burning application
> just yet).
>

> I have documented the packages that I add to Xubuntu, in the Ubuntu forums
> (and I have attached the code for a few settings hacks, also) ..
>
> Obviously, there is a lot of personal preference in the list, but some
> readers have found it useful, and have probably cherry-picked some of my
> choices.
>
>  You might suggest some specifically at the xubuntu-devel mailinglist :)
>

> I can send you off-line a short list of general, low-effort, high-win
> changes to the Xubuntu interface, if you like.  I am reluctant to address
> the developers list directly, because I am not a developer, and have no
> credibility in their circle.  I feel that this mailing list is the users'
> forum, and this is where suggestions on usability should be presented.  If
> we can convince people like yourself and Cody to run with some of our ideas,
> then I think that things will happen! :)

The purpose behind this list is user support, the purpose behind the -devel
list is all things related to development. Everybody starts out with zero
credibility, that shouldn't scare you off ;-)

Feel free to send it to the -devel list, but if you really don't want to you
can mail me personally as well. That said, I'll have to say that it's
unlikely that much will happen - some because there are reasons for Xubuntu
not to include stuff (which I'll give to you, of course :), some because the
devs are busy (especially with 8.10 being released tomorrow)... but you
never know ;-)

> Please let me know if you would like me to send you some (simple) ideas,
> off-line.
>
> Regards,
> David Collins
>
> PS.  Despite my whinging, I am a big fan of XFCE and Xubuntu.  It is simple
> and fast, and we don't use anything but Xubuntu on our desktop computers and
> laptops at my house! :)

That's the way I like to hear it ;-)

--
Vincent