[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu 8.10 and xorg.conf on an oldworld PowerPC

JacaByte bytemaster at q.com
Sat Nov 29 18:48:30 GMT 2008

Hello guys! I've searched high and I've searched low for a solution to
this problem, but have yet to find it. I think I'm scaring people off by
mentioning the fact that this is with a PowerMac 9500 we're dealing
with, so please stay with me. I don't think this problem is hardware
specific. Please excuse my verbosity.

I've got Xubuntu 8.10 running on a PowerMac 9500 which has been upgraded
with a G3 processor. It's set up so that it boots into an incomplete
install of Mac OS 9.1 and then I can boot into Linux via BootX. So far,
so good; note that this thing cannot use Yaboot because of its age.

Xubuntu goes through its boot process happily until it tries to load the
GUI. Then it gives off "(EE) Mach64(0): Linear aperture not available"
and "(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration" errors
and continues to boot into the GUI environment with a default resolution
of 640x480 at 256 colors. I then get to a login screen, and when I log
into the GUI environment, all the windows I pull up disappear as soon as
they come on screen, as if the key shortcut for hiding windows is stuck.

I'm forced to use a failsafe terminal at this point in order to perform
administrative duties. When I take a peek into xorg.conf with nano, the
file is practically blank save for the header warning me how important
xorg.conf is, and the device, screen and monitor sections themselves,
which contain no valuable information that I can see.
/var/logs/Xorg.0.log (or wherever it is, I forget) shows that when xorg
starts loading the input device preferences it begins to choke. Preinit
returns NULL for the keyboard, the single button mouse, and mouse button
emulation for said mouse, and then stops. I'm using ADB input devices,
which are as old as the computer, so I think that's the issue here. Does
anybody know if Xubuntu 8.10 supports ADB input devices? If not, is
there a place where I can grab driver packages for them? I installed
from an alternate install CD, so shouldn't all the relevant drivers for
using the input devices have been installed?

Also, on a related note, OS 9 tells me that I'm using an Ati Rage 128,
while xorg.0.log showed that xorg was loading drivers for a Mach64 GX.
Is there any reason for xorg to do something like that? I'm going to
open up the computer today and find out what kind of graphics card it
has for sure.

Thanks in advance.