[xubuntu-users] Update to 8.10

Andrew Kane googoleyes at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 22:51:13 UTC 2008

     Hi Lee,
     If the machine in question contains important data or provides
critical services then I recommend you *do not* upgrade to 8.10. This
process is sometimes called a "dist-upgrade" after the command used to
invoke it, so I will refer to it as such here.
     There are a few reasons to defer a dist-upgrade in this case. The
first and most important is that 8.04 (Hardy Heron) is an LTS, or Long
Term Support, release. This means that it is likely to remain more
stable over time than non-LTS releases such as 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex).
      I have heard many reports of things not working correctly after
dist-upgrade to 8.10, and I am accustomed to hearing similar reports
after each new release. The Ubuntu team does the best they can, but a
distribution is a large and highly complex collection of software, and
no software package is perfect. In my own experience several things
have broken on my system since dist-upgrading to 8.10- but mine is a
special case: flaky hardware, customized software installed, and this
system has been dist-upgraded about four times so it's a surprise that
it's still running at all ;)
     I have heard that some aspects of 8.10 don't work correctly even
after a "clean" install but I am unable to corroborate this. If you
are curious you can try a livecd on your system to see if the software
you use works correctly, or peruse the user forums and bug reports at
the Ubuntu site and Launchpad.
     I don't mean to scare you away from dist-upgrading, however. If
your machine is not a mission-critical server or other machine you
can't afford to fool with, then you might find it well worth your
while to dist-upgrade for the spiffy new features. Just make sure you
backup first!
     Btw, I think that if you install 8.10 from an iso to a separate
partition from the one where 8.04 resides, not only will your old
system not be replaced, but also iirc you can import bookmarks,
settings, etc. from the old system. I haven't tried this and I don't
know how well it works, so if you try it, please let me know how it
goes.
     If you want to dist-upgrade without installing a 2nd system the command is:

     sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

     Also if you open update-manager it should inform you that the new
dist is ready and offer a button for the upgrade. I prefer the command
line tool, however, so that I can watch what's going on.

     Good luck!