[xubuntu-users] Lost: Window Manager. If Found: Please call Dave

David Curtis dcurtis at uniserve.com
Wed Nov 5 20:29:26 UTC 2008

Cody A.W. Somerville wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 2:06 PM, David Curtis <dcurtis at uniserve.com
> <mailto:dcurtis at uniserve.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'm running 8.10 w/Intrepid proposed, compiz on top of Xfce. After
>     last
>     update (new Nvidia 177, new kernel, etc) and restart I've lost all
>     window decorations. All windows including sub-windows, sub-menus,
>     dialogs etc. start at 0,0. I've removed nvidia 177 for nv, removed
>     compiz and re-installed Xfce4 but to no avail. Opening up
>     Applications->Settings->Settings Manager->Window Manager results
>     in the
>     error 'Window Manager does not exist(unknown)'.
>
>     I have no clue even where to begin trouble shooting this, any
>     suggestions ?
>

> Press alt+f2 and run xfwm4

Thanks Cody,

I had to kill a number of windows to get focus, but it worked. And the
wm starts up again after logout/restart.  Wondering if it was the update
or something I did?

I did kill xfce-panel late last night after finding it at 30% cpu. And
after that compiz borked.  So I'm thinking it's highly unlikely I can
reproduce it.

Dave