[xubuntu-users] Yet more Newbie questions :)

Vincent imnotb at gmail.com
Fri May 30 12:42:29 UTC 2008

On 5/30/08, returnCode <returncode at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hallo Jeff,
> simdock is fun, but you can install THE DEFINITIVE DOCK: AWN,  with a lot
> of themes, applet and so for ...

You need Compiz or another compositing window manager for Avant Window
Navigator, so if that won't install you can't run AWN.

Just enable composite manager in Setting manager -> Windows Manager Tweaks"
> -> Compositor -> Enable display compositing
>
> Add this repository in /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/reacocard-awn/ubuntu gutsy main
>
> deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/reacocard-awn/ubuntu gutsy main

Also, these instructions are geared towards 7.10. It's best to follow the
official instructions at http://wiki.awn-project.org/Installation

Update your system

> apt-get update
>

> Then install AWN
>
> sudo apt-get install avant-window-navigator-bzr awn-core-applets-bzr awn-manager-bzr
>

> The result of your desktop may be similar to mine:
>
> http://returncode.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/vpn1.png
>
> You can find useful this how to from ubuntu forum:
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4762383#post4762383
>
> HTH
>
> Nunzio aka returncode [at] gmail [dot] com
>

> 2008/5/29 Jeffrey B. Layton <laytonjb at charter.net>:
>
>> Sorry for being a pain,
>>
>> I got Openoffice installed (that's everyone!). It's using JRE which
>> I don't care for, but at this point at least it functions :)
>>
>> So now I'm starting to play with XFCE to see what I can do.
>> Not to cause any problems, but I like the desktop at
>> Dreamlinux (www.dreamlinux.com.br) which I think uses
>> Compiz. I followed Vincent's instructions for installing and
>> running Compiz, but it wouldn't work. I think it's because I'm
>> using an old SIS chipset (SIS 630?). But the funny part is that
>> I can run the DreamLinux desktop (differences in the Compiz
>> build?).
>>
>> So I started looking around at Docks that kind of sort of look
>> like the Mac OS X one. I found Simdock and installed it. Has
>> anyone configured it on their desktop? How can I replace the
>> panel in XFCE to use Simdock?
>>
>> Third question (last one for today I think) - I was looking around
>> for E17. I could only find e16 and "enlightenment" but I didn't
>> find e17. Does anyone know where I could find e17? Also, if
>> I install it, will gdm pick it up so I can just choose from the
>> session?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>> P.S. So far I think Xubuntu is just great! I've been a Redhat person
>> for a long time and Xubuntu is just great for my little old laptop!
>> Very easy to use and the wireless setup is great!
>>

>> --

Vincent