[xubuntu-users] Going from Kubuntu to Xubuntu

David Curtis dcurtis at uniserve.com
Mon May 26 09:46:38 UTC 2008

Andrew Kane wrote:
>      Well, it didn't *exactly* fail, but it's pretty badly broken :(
>      I went about the install process all wrong, I'm afraid. I did the
> server install, and then started trying to add individual packages
> until I got a working X server and display manager. Not really knowing
> what I was doing, I installed xdm instead of gdm, which seems not to
> work well. Afterwards I installed the xubuntu-desktop metapackage (as
> I should have done in the first place, I suppose) and I'm writing this
> in Firefox 3 under xfce right now. Unfortunately, all my previous
> hardware problems persist (I have a pretty good idea what's causing
> those, and it's not a WM problem), but also my display resolution is
> wrong - very easy to tell on a 14" lcd screen!
>     Well, back to the drawing board.
>     Later I will try it again, this time going for the metapackage
> from the get-go. Or I might just give it up and burn an xubuntu cd and
> save myself some pain- but then I won't learn nothin'!
>
>     More to come. Isn't this exciting?!?

Sorry for not posting this earlier. Here is a link to instructions for
doing a X/graphic install over a basic cli install. I followed these
instructions to perform an install on an old laptop. Basic cli install
with X/openbox for the gui with decent results.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems

HTH,

Dave.