[xubuntu-users] System menu

Hex1a4 hex1a4 at gmail.com
Sat May 24 02:32:27 UTC 2008

In the time of Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:49:45 +0100, thus spoke Nicolas Ferré:

> Radomir Dopieralski a écrit :
>> Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 11:28:10AM +0100:
>>> According to the xubuntu help, I can change the menu in Applications
>>> -> Settings -> Menu Editor. However the largest part of the menu
>>> appears under the name "system".
>>> How can I modify this part ?
>>
>> Yes, you only need to make a submenu 'System' and any entries in it you
>> want changed. You just have to make sure the 'include' directive is
>> *after* that submenu. Then, your menu and the user menu will be
>> "merged".
>>

> OK if I want to add new entries or new submenus. However what I'd like
> to do is to change some applications from one submenu to another one. Or
> I'd like to add new entries in the existing submenus of 'system', or
> remove some of them.
> It seems I have to copy a whole 'system' submenu if I want to modify it,
> do you agree ?
>
> --
> Nicolas Ferre'
> Laboratoire Chimie Provence
> Universite' de Provence - France
> Tel: +33 391282733

XFCE's System menu isn't any one file.  It is a token which tells the
menu system to show application launchers which are scattered throughout
the system.  To modify individual entries you have to change its
launcher.  Look in /usr/share/applications/ and if you have the *menu-
xdg* package installed /var/lib/menu-xdg/.  You can also install the *xdg-
utils* package which has tools to manage menus.

While XFCE has been around for a long time, not very long ago it has been
completely rewritten to use GTK instead of XForms, which means that
essentially it's a very young environment and at present, sadly, the menu
system is rather primitive and it will not get better until Xfce5.
--
hex1a4.net