[xubuntu-users] How to run DWL-510 Wlandevice

Vincent imnotb at gmail.com
Wed May 21 10:40:52 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 11:58 AM, <hannah at hannah-and-friends.de> wrote:

> Hello
>
> since monday I try to configure an DWL-510 to make it run. What I've done
> until no:
>
> 1. Installed "ndiswrapper" - packet from xubuntu-CD.
>     successfull
>
> 2. Installed driver from DLink-CD
>     ??

Try installing "ndisgtk" first:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=ndisgtk&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all

(You can find it in Applications->System->Add/Remove... by looking for
"Windows Wireless Drivers". That should help you installing the drivers from
the CD.

Also, which version of Xubuntu are you using?

>     The command <iwconfig> shows this:
>
>     loop back ok.
>
>     wlan0                IEEE802.11b ESSID:off/any Nickname "HAF01"
>                 Mode: Auto Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
>                 Bit Rate: 11 Mb/s Tx Power: 20 dBm Sensitivity=0/3
>                 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
>                   Link Quality=0
>                 Signal level=0
>                 Noise level=0
>                 Rx invalid nwid:0
>                 Rx invalid crypt:0
>                 Rx invalid frag:0
>

> The device is also present in: applications>system>network and can be
> edited.
> The changes takes no effect to the displayed result of iwconfig.
>
> This morning I tried to change the parameters by <sudo iwconfig wlan0 ...>
> Some changes become true, other changes false.
>
> My wlan is running good, connects 3 Windows-Computers and give all of them
> access
> to the internet. See the configuration settings below:
>
> ESSID: "HAF"
> AP-Name: "HAF01" - 192.168.10.20
> Mode: "Managed"
> Encrypt: "Yes" - 128 bit / WEP
> Key01: "ascii" - (...........)
>
> The device may be not correctly embedded to the system. So I can not choose
> it, to bind pppoe for an internet-connection.
>
> I'm a greenhorn in xubuntu and installed it becauseII I have to execute a
> training about it for
> some people in my organisation.
>
> Regards
>
> hannah josephine dippe