[xubuntu-users] Add space on / with additional disk

Teo teo666 at linuxmail.org
Tue May 13 13:27:55 UTC 2008

Vincent ha scritto:

> On 5/13/08, *Teo* <teo666 at linuxmail.org <mailto:teo666 at linuxmail.org>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hello everyone,
>     I'm searching for a way to add space on / adding one hdd.
>     I don't want to change partitions or similar, only add free space of a
>     second hdd to /.
>     Is that possible??
>     My problem was born from insufficient space for upgrade the distro on a
>     remote (monitorless and keyboardless) pc on my lan.
>     In alternative I tried to mount free space in /var/cache/apt, but the
>     update-manager still say that there's not enough space on / to install..
>     Thanx,
>     Teo.
>

> I'm not an expert, but I'm afraid it's impossible. What you could do is
> set the hard drive to mount to a place where a lot of files are stored.
> Perhaps it'd make for a good home directory? If you're going to do that,
> be sure to move over the files that are currently in that directory :)
>
> --
> Vincent

Ok, so I have to copy the content of a folder to a new partition, then
mount the new (not empty) partition in the (old) empty folder..
..sure that space freed by moving could be used for installation..right??

But where apt-get, or better update-manager, stores the downloaded files
for installation??
And, if I'd mount a partition on that (unknown yet..) folder the program
(during upgrade) could detect enough space?

I like this kind of challenge..and linux..
Thanx,
Teo.