[xubuntu-users] MS Outlook Web Access Issues

Vincent imnotb at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 13:00:20 BST 2008

On 6/6/08, John Botscharow <info at jbotscharow.com> wrote:

> Scott Eaton wrote:
> > Running Hardy with Firefox 3.0b5
> >
> > On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 13:49 -0300, Cody A.W. Somerville wrote:
> >> I don't experience this issue. What version of Firefox are you
> >> running? What version of Xubuntu are you running?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Scott Eaton <sjeaton at wowway.com>
> >> wrote:
> >>         Greeting fellow users!
> >>
> >>         I have a recurring problem.  When accessing my work email
> >>         using Firefox
> >>         I can read and open emails, but cannot send.
> >>
> >>         Oddly, if I install a different browser (Opera, Galilon, etc)
> >>         I can send
> >>         emails...but only a few times, and then I can't anymore.
> >>
> >>         When I hit send it just becomes stuck.
> >>
> >>         I suspect a Java issue...but can't be sure.  All Java apps on
> >>         my box are
> >>         up-to-date.
> >>
> >>         Any ideas?
> >>
> >>         Regards,
> >>         Scott
> >>

> >>         --
> >>

> >> --
> >> Cody A.W. Somerville
> >> Software Engineer
> >> Red Cow Marketing & Technologies, Inc.
> >> Office: 506-458-1290
> >> Toll Free: 1-877-733-2699
> >> Fax: 506-453-9112
> >> Cell: 506-449-5899
> >> Email: cody at redcow.ca
> >> http://www.redcow.ca
> >

> I am running a similar desktop and have a sinilar issue with the
> honeschooling site my youngest son uses. The site does a browser check
> that requires IE 6 or better or a recent version of NS. I use the User
> Agent plug in to lie and say I am using IE6. That gets me into the site,
> but I cannot access the lessons which are a JS menu. The site uses
> frames and quite a bit of Flash, but the Flash I don.t think is an issue
> because it works well on other sites. The site does use a Windows
> server, so I suspect the problem is in the Java code that Windows uses.
> I am not much on programmin, but I do believe that I read somewhere that
> MS uses their own version of Java and that it has some
> intercompatability issues with non-MS Java.
>
> Any clues as to how we deal with this?

That Java thing was long ago. It sounds like a really aging site, as in:
from the time people used to support specific browsers. Those are really
sparse nowadays, as you're missing out on a lot of visitors if you don't
create a good website (what with Firefox soon hitting a 20% worldwide market
share - that's losing one in five visitors!).

The best thing to do is to file a complaint with the site and not to use it.
If you really must, you can try installing IE6 (see
http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page), but then that site is
very lucky that you're willing to go through so much trouble.

(It's not a problem with the server or your system by the way - it's all the
website's fault)

- --
> Peace!
>
> John