[xubuntu-users] MS Outlook Web Access Issues

Vincent imnotb at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 13:20:29 UTC 2008

On 6/6/08, John Botscharow <info at jbotscharow.com> wrote:

> Vincent wrote:

> >> I am running a similar desktop and have a sinilar issue with the
> >> honeschooling site my youngest son uses. The site does a browser check
> >> that requires IE 6 or better or a recent version of NS. I use the User
> >> Agent plug in to lie and say I am using IE6. That gets me into the site,
> >> but I cannot access the lessons which are a JS menu. The site uses
> >> frames and quite a bit of Flash, but the Flash I don.t think is an issue
> >> because it works well on other sites. The site does use a Windows
> >> server, so I suspect the problem is in the Java code that Windows uses.
> >> I am not much on programmin, but I do believe that I read somewhere that
> >> MS uses their own version of Java and that it has some
> >> intercompatability issues with non-MS Java.
> >>
> >> Any clues as to how we deal with this?
> >

> > That Java thing was long ago. It sounds like a really aging site, as in:
> > from the time people used to support specific browsers. Those are really
> > sparse nowadays, as you're missing out on a lot of visitors if you don't
> > create a good website (what with Firefox soon hitting a 20% worldwide
> market
> > share - that's losing one in five visitors!).
> >
> > The best thing to do is to file a complaint with the site and not to use
> it.
> > If you really must, you can try installing IE6 (see
> > http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page), but then that site
> is
> > very lucky that you're willing to go through so much trouble.
> >
> > (It's not a problem with the server or your system by the way - it's all
> the
> > website's fault)
> >
> > - --
> >> Peace!
> >>
> >> John
> >>

> > Cheers,
> >

> That's the way I see it too. Arrogant web designers, and I use the terms
> web designer loosely, who don;t know their rectums from a whole in the
> ground. LOL I already have filed one complaint - somewhat informally -
> and will file a more formal one, now that my suspicions have been
> cnofrmed...............
>
> As far as not using the site, well, that's not an option for the next
> three years. It's a paid membership site that provides my son's
> curriculum and their curriculum is considered one of the best. Their
> non-member area is not browser specific, only the members area. The
> Firefoc on my son's Windows machine handles it fine,

Now that *is* odd. Is it the same version of Firefox?

Oh wait... Do the Javascript menu's happen to be hidden behind flash? If so,
then I was wrong: it's an issue with the Flash player for Linux.
http://www.google.com/search?client=googlet&btnI=Im+Feeling+Lucky&q=flash+hide+menus+linux

so we can live with

--
Vincent