[xubuntu-users] xubuntu-desktop package installs gnome

Vincent imnotb at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 13:31:41 UTC 2008

On 6/5/08, Charlie Kravetz <cjk at teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 04:19 -0700, Ivo Jimenez wrote:
> > I've been using xubuntu since dapper and I love it.
> >
> > I'm now using Hardy and I mistakenly uninstalled the xubuntu-desktop
> > package. When I installing it again, aptitude automatically wanted to
> > install gnome:
> >
> > $ sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > Reading extended state information
> > Initializing package states... Done
> > Building tag database... Done
> > The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
> >   alacarte capplets-data cdrdao deskbar-applet desktop-base
> > evolution-data-server evolution-data-server-common gnome-about
> > gnome-applets
> >   gnome-applets-data gnome-control-center gnome-desktop-data
> > gnome-doc-utils gnome-media gnome-menus gnome-netstatus-applet
> > gnome-panel
> >   gnome-panel-data gnome-session gnome-settings-daemon
> > gnome-user-guide gnome-utils gromit gvfs gvfs-backends libao2
> > libarchive1 libatspi1.0-0
> >   libcdio-cdda0 libcdio-paranoia0 libedata-book1.2-2 libedata-cal1.2-6
> > libedataserverui1.2-8 libeel2-2 libeel2-data libegroupwise1.2-13
> >   libgdata-google1.2-1 libgdata1.2-1 libgnome-window-settings1
> > libgnomevfs2-extra libgvfscommon0 libgweather-common libgweather1
> > librarian0
> >   libxml2-utils menu menu-xdg metacity mousetweaks nautilus
> > nautilus-cd-burner nautilus-data python-beagle python-fpconst
> > python-gmenu
> >   python-soappy totem-common totem-gstreamer totem-mozilla
> > totem-plugins totem-plugins-extra xdg-user-dirs xsltproc yelp
> >

> > Is this OK? How could I restore the xubuntu-desktop package? I want to
> > have it for future consistent dist-upgrades.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
>

> Yes, this is OK. It is not installing Gnome, it is installing Gnome
> packages and libraries that used by Xubuntu.

Are you sure? I don't think alacarte, gnome-applets, gnome-applets-data,
gnome-control-center, gnome-desktop-data, gnome-panel and whatnot are
included in Xubuntu.... Something is pulling this in.

Isn't there a way to see which packages pull these in?

Or perhaps its the use of aptitude - I believe it also pulls in
"recommends". Try using apt-get or configuring aptitude to only install
dependencies.

Good Luck,

> --
> Charlie Kravetz