[xubuntu-users] Home disappeared after upgrade

Andrew Kane googoleyes at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 16:14:10 UTC 2008

First (if you haven't already) you will need to verify that your
partition and home directory are actually there:
Boot the machine into recovery mode if possible or use a Desktop cd
(not the alternate install cd) and browse /home. If your directory is
not there (i.e., the designated partition not being mounted at /home)
it should show up in /media.
Oops- re-reading your post I see you've already done this.
So:
sudo chown mg /home/mg
sudo chmod u+rwx /home/mg
should fix it. I had a similar problem with a reinstall- I stupidly
used the same username but the system couldn't use the existing home
directory as the UIDs didn't match.

Hope this helps.