[xubuntu-users] Wireless + wired connection

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Sat Jan 26 02:27:06 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 10:41 +0100, Nicolas Ferré wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed Xubuntu on my laptop a month ago and there is something
> bothering me. At work, I have a wired internet connection I set up
> manually. At home, I have a wireless connection in roaming mode. Every
> time I change my place, at start, Xubuntu complains about my hostname
> not defined explicitly in /etc/hosts. Each time, I add it to /etc/hosts
> but it get lost when I change my place !
> Another related strange thing: at home, I cannot connect to some
> computers that belong to the same domain than I ! Even a 'ping' says
> these computers don't answer while I know they are alive, connected and
> accept ping requests ! Note that I can ping other hosts around the world
> without problems.
>
> Any hint ?
>
> --
> NF

I do not know if this will help, but I use
127.0.1.1 hostname
in my /etc/hosts file since Ubuntu 7.10 does use 127.0.0.1 localhost.
Also, When using /etc/hosts, make sure all the computers have entries
for each other, other than 127.0.1.1. If you need an example hosts file,
let me know.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz