[xubuntu-users] can I run Ubuntu on this machine?

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 23 11:36:10 UTC 2008

Hi Stephen,

 Unfortunately 64mb is going to result in some performance issues (aka, it
might be slow). Although there have been reports of people successfully
running Xubuntu with 64mb with an even slower processor than you have, I
dunno if it'll be tolerable by most end-users including yourself.
Personally, I'd suggest that individuals running Xubuntu have at least 192mb
of ram (although the official minimum listed is 128mb) or more. Ram seems to
be the biggest limiting factor when it comes to desktop responsiveness. I
just recently upgraded to a machine 1.6Ghz w/ 512mb of ram and I find that
although when I boot the desktop it doesn't take near that much ram, it
quickly starts to get to that point and starts paging once you've been
running it for awhile (due to known memory leaks and extra applications
running).

Thanks for your question,

Cody A.W. Somerville

On Apr 2, 2007 2:17 PM, Stephen & Tammy Cutting <cutting at snowcrest.net>
wrote:

> I have been a Windows user since before Windows-1 - in fact,
> pre-Comodore's VIC-20!
>
> I am interested in putting Ubuntu 6.06 on a old Gateway operating at
> 400Mhz with 64 Mb of RAM.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> There is no way to upgrade the RAM as this is a self contained package
> computer (monitor and computer are all in one box). Inside, (under the
> monitor) is laid out much like a laptop with no room to expand
> anything.  It has a CD player and communications to the outside of the
> box (keyboard, mouse, printer, and whatever else, is only through USB
> ports and one dial-up port.
>
> Stephen

Cody A.W. Somerville