[xubuntu-users] xubuntu-users Digest, Vol 24, Issue 10

David Collins david.8.collins at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 23:07:36 UTC 2008

Ambika,

I can't remember seeing the original e-mail, so don't know how old this
question is, but to elaborate ...

1. If you install openssh-server on Xubuntu, you can then access files
on Xubuntu using winscp on Windows XP.  (I think you might also need to
install putty on the WinXP PC.)

2. If you install samba on Xubuntu, and you share out directories, you
can then transfer files without installing anything on Windows XP.
In Windows Explorer, open \\XubuntuPC\sambashare, and you will be
prompted for a username and password.
Samba is easy to install, and you can choose System/Shared Folders from
the menu to open a GUI that allows you to share folders - so I think
that this is probably the easiest option.

Regards,
David Collins