[xubuntu-users] more video trouble

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Mon Aug 25 06:16:47 UTC 2008

Andrew Kane schrieb:
> .
>> I never saw a 17" CRT (cathode ray tube, that is), which displays
>> 1280x1024 properly, are you sure?
>
>     Yes, quite certain. You can look up the specs for "ViewSonic 17PS"
> if you like, but as mentioned I've been running this monitor at that
> resolution for several years without trouble. Before that I had a MAG
> multisync (don't remember the model name though) also run at
> 1280x1024.

Impressive. Now it is clear that the font size may be a little small.
Given that a 17" LCD roughly provides the screen surface of a 19" CRT,
1280x1024 there are nice and shiny, while on your 17" CRT you really
need to have excellent eyes.

>>> That's a good idea, but this particular card has no DVI out. I don't
>>> know the actual vendor since the card came with the machine and has no
>>> labeling to speak of.
>> Strange. I do have a stripped down version (9200 SE) in use (actually
>> I removed it from my Linux box to a windows PC, since ATI supports
>> windows way longer than Linux ;-( )
>> And even this lowest cost, lowest performance 9200 has DVI out.
>
> Oops, my bad! I was pretty certain there was no DVI out, but went and
> looked at the back of the machine anyway- and sure enough there is
> one. Duhhhh...
> Of course, I'm pretty sure this monitor does not support DVI but it
> will be nice to have when / if I switch to an LCD. Also someone has
> given me another MAG of about the same vintage which may or may not
> have DVI in- it seems unlikely but I haven't examined it yet.

Well, CRTs to the best of my knowledge never have DVI.

Sadly, its occasionally missing on brand new cheapo LCDs, now and then.

And now, we're confronted with the next one: HDMI

Kind regards
Eberhard