[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu 8.04.1 Preformance

Arthur H. Johnson II arthur.johnson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 15:07:31 UTC 2008

I have two machines that I'm currently running the most recent Xubuntu
on.  I have a small mystery I'm hoping you guys can help me solve, so I
can prevent running into preformance issues in the future.

The first machine is a Pentium D 3.0, 2g of ram, and a SATAII hard
drive.  On its fresh install, it takes 42 seconds to go from grub to a
usable desktop, less than five seconds to usable from GDM.

My second machine is an Acer Aspire 5315 laptop, Celeron 530 1.73Ghz, 1g
of ram, and a SATAII hard drive.  It has a similar install to the
desktop, and takes 55 seconds to go from grub to a usable desktop, less
than 8 seconds to usable from GDM.

Now, both machine were running xubuntu-desktop, ubuntu-desktop, and
kubuntu-desktop all installed from apt.  The laptop started with an
install of ubuntu, and apt-get was used to get the other two.  The
desktop started as an install of xubuntu, and apt-get was used to get
the rest.  When I wiped and reinstalled both machines, it was taking
almost two minutes to go from grub to usable.

I upgraded both machines to 8.04.1 through the update manager, but it
didn't seem to help.  I was logging in via GDM just like I am now.  Both
KDE and GNOME servies were turned off in sessions.

The only difference is that I don't have kubuntu-desktop and
ubuntu-desktop installed.  I also reinstalled the system from the
xubuntu-alternate disk.

The mystery isn't a big deal, I'm mostly trying to get a topic of
discussion going here.  Is it better to wipe and reinstall when a new
release comes out?  Or is installing a ton of applications cause XFCE to
slow down due to background indexing, or something similar?  I'm
thinking the latter is the case.  Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the
preformance I'm just trying to avoid any unnecessary slow downs in the
future.