[xubuntu-users] Sound card issues

Andrew Kane googoleyes at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 01:46:45 UTC 2008

     If it's acceptable to disable the AC97 chip (I'm assuming you
don't need to use both it and the SoundBlaster simultaneously) the
easiest way is to do it in the BIOS settings- some BIOS' setup
programs have a section called "Integrated Peripherals" wherein you
can enable/disable various stuff on your motherboard. Of course if the
capability exists it may well be located elsewhere in the BIOS
settings.
     If the BIOS does not support disabling the AC97 then you can try
blacklisting its driver, which will be called snd_ac97 or such. On my
machine with a VIA chipset I have snd_ac97_codec and ac97_bus. Your
lspci may vary. A quick check of the wiki shows nothing about
blacklisting modules, so in case you don't know it just means adding
the module's name to the file /etc/modules.d/blacklist.

     Here's a good guide from the Ubuntu wiki:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingSoundProblems

     Good luck