[xubuntu-users] Changing Keyboard Layout with Keyboard

das দাশ dasd.here at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 02:39:56 UTC 2007

Hello Friends

I am using two keyboard layouts: the 'us' one and the 'bn_probhat' one,
the second one from India->Bengali->Probhat.

In Xubuntu, I am using Keyboard Switcher Applet from the Panel that
changes from 'US' to 'IN' or the other way round when I click.

Is there any way I can change the keyboard layout with the keyboard, not
using the mouse?

And another interesting point is that, the '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' file
does not show any other keyboard layout than the 'us'. I am quoting the
relevant section.

 Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"

Not something like:

 Option          "XkbLayout"     "us,bn_probhat"

How the other laout (bn_probhat) is getting loaded at all?

Will some script like this work, if I want to change the layout with
ctrl_shift?

#!/bin/bash
setxkbmap -option grp:switch,grp:ctrl_shift us,bn_probhat

--
das