[xubuntu-users] Term crashes after upgrade

Dax Solomon Umaming knightlust at gmail.com
Sat May 26 17:55:38 UTC 2007

On Saturday 26 May 2007 23:31:10 Gary Crosby wrote:
> Now when they open a terminal
> their session crashes and takes them back to the login screen. Any
> ideas out there.

Gary, I quoted Mr. Jim Campbell here, got it from the OEM Install thread. Hope
this helps you the way it helped me;

---
As for X crashing when you open the terminal, I recommend the following:

To do this, you'll need to boot into an xterm session, so when the login
screen comes up, click on the Sessions icon, and select Terminal session or
something similar (I don't have a Xubuntu install with me at the moment).

* navigate to your /etc/X11 folder and make a backup copy of your xorg.conf
file.  You can do this by entering:
cd /etc/X11
sudo cp xorg.conf xorg.conf_backup

* edit your xorg.conf file, changing the default depth from 24 to 16.  You can
do this by entering:
sudo nano xorg.conf
 . . .  then scroll down to the Screen section, and find the DefaultDepth
option.  Change that number to 16.

*press control-o  (letter "O") to save the file, then press control-x to exit
the nano text editor.

Then exit from the xterm session, and it should bring you back to the login
window.  Select an Xfce session from the session button, and proceed to login
as usual.

I hope this helps!  Sorry it is kind of a non-pretty way to do things, but
it's hard to tell you to enter these changes into a regular terminal when the
regular terminal crashes your X session!  I think that this should work,
though . . .  It's a known issue on older machines, and I've helped 3 or 4
people to fix their systems using this approach.
---

--
Dax Solomon Umaming
http://knightlust.com/