[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu for Curmudgeons

Robert Steinmetz rob at steinmetznet.com
Sun May 6 05:36:27 UTC 2007

Skip Evans wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> The curmudgeonly old barber next door to my office
> has a computer at home with XP on it giving him
> fits. It won't access the Internet, gets an
> "unidentified error" trying to even display its
> firewall settings, and is, according to him,
> telling him his XP has "expired" and won't let him
> reinstall... or some such.

Depending on his use and the machine, I'd suggest trying Ubuntu.
If the machine ever ran XP acceptably Ubuntu ought to run at least as
well and be reasonably familiar.
If that doesn't work, adding more memory may help a lot..

Xubuntu leaves out a lot of stuff a typical user might like to have such
as OpenOffice. You can install OpenOffice on Xubuntu, but it loses a lot
of its advantages then.

--
*Robert Steinmetz, AIA*
Principal