[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu Testing Update - Plans for testing Feisty Herd 6

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 05:30:53 UTC 2007

Hello All,

With last week's release of the Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn Beta (yeah!!), we
have a short period of time before our next cycle of heavy testing begins.
That means that until we announce the Herd 6 image candidates, you can
either file regular bug reports against the nightly images, or take a break
from testing ISOs and visit cuteoverload.com.  :)

That being said, we've got some interesting things planned for ISO testing
of the upcoming releases.  The most important item involves assigning
individuals to specific ISO test cases.

== ISO TEST CASES ==
In the past months, we've asked for testers to test Xubuntu nightly
releases, and to report their test results.  Simple enough.  While this has
been successful in terms of getting the community interested and involved,
we thought we could do more to (1) make it easier for testers to know what
to test, and (2) ensure adequate coverage for the different kinds of tests.

With that in mind, I've put up a page that lists the specific kind of tests
that you can sign up for.  I'm requesting that testers sign up for one
primary test, and a secondary test.  If you'd like, you can sign up for more
than one secondary test, but this is not required.  This approach should
help you to know what you need to do, and will also help us to make sure
that Xubuntu is tested very thoroughly.

The wiki page is located
here<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Community/Xubuntu>,
but to sign yourself up for a specific test, I'm asking that people email me
at xubuntu.iso at gmail.com with their testing requests (see the wiki page for
a bit more detail).  I will then write back to you, and confirm your testing
assignment(s).  I'm doing it this way so that we don't get 20 people signed
up to test manual partitioning on an i386 Live CD, and no one signed up to
test an AMD64 install.  If you can't perform the test that you get assigned,
please just let me know, and we'll figure something out.

== UBUNTU "BURN DAY" ==
The other cool thing that we have in mind isn't fully planned-out yet, but
we're excited about it.  In short, we're planning an Ubuntu "Burn Day**,"
which will be much like an Ubuntu "Hug Day," but instead of learning how to
triage and report bugs, we're going to burn CDs and test ISOs.  :)  We'll
have people around on #ubuntu-iso to answer test questions, and we're also
looking at ways to have friendly competitions amongst u/ku/edu/xu/*buntu
testing teams  :)  (Xubuntu FTW!!).  More details to follow in the coming
week or so . . .

Until then, thanks again for your support, :-)

Jim

** Unless you have a defective laptop battery, we won't actually be setting
anything on fire during our Ubuntu "Burn Day."  In fact, the Ubuntu-ISO team
recommends having a working smoke detector and fire extinguisher available
at all times. <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-iso-tests>

jwcampbell at gmail.com