[xubuntu-users] Firewalls on an XU laptop

Adam Miller maxamillion at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 03:57:56 UTC 2007

Firestarter is the application I personally recommend to all users for
general use, its very easy to use and for anyone with basic knowledge of
firewalls it will offer many options that make even advanced users right at
home controlling the point-and-click interface.

I use firestarter on all my personal machines, on my work machines, and even
on the test server I am working on at work (out of laziness because I don't
want to spend time bothering with iptables configuration for test
implementations).

Hope this helps.

-Adam

On 3/15/07, John Shane <jslists at mtwafrica.org> wrote:

> I've been looking at the firewall options available in Synaptic
> for my laptop running Xubuntu Edgy.  There are four to choose from:
> Zorp, Shorewall, Firestarter and Firewall Builder.  Anyone with
> experience using one or the other of these, or all of them, able
> to give advice for choosing one for an XU laptop?
>
> From Googling plus looking at the web sites for the various programs
> it seems like Zorp is more server oriented, Shorewall is, in their
> own words, powerful but not the easiest to use.  Firewall Builder and
> Firestarter look similar and probably better suited for a laptop with
> Firestarter being a bit more polished.  Does that agree with your
> experience?
>
> Thanks, John

-=:max:=-