[xubuntu-users] Performance problems on Xubuntu Edgy

jbrice at netscape.net jbrice at netscape.net
Mon Mar 12 22:34:12 UTC 2007

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 15:55:51 +0100
> From: Radomir Dopieralski <xubuntu at sheep.art.pl>
> Subject: Re: [xubuntu-users] Performance problems on Xubuntu Edgy
> To: Xubuntu Help and User Discussions <xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> Dnia Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 06:51:29PM +0100, napisale(a)s:
> > I should have seen a general slowdown due to the swapping. However,
> > the Gimp should not have taken so many ressources as to make Firefox
> > unavailable, and vice versa.
>
> Well, Firefox is all nice and fast when you start it. But after a
> while it starts to use more and more RAM for keeping the rendered
> pages. Unless you limit its memory usage, it can easily use up all
> your ram.
>
> Of course any program that would start then would be left with very
> little ram for itself. Since the rendered pages are kept as X
> reseources, they are technically being used all the time -- so no
> swapping is really possible. This is of course a bug of the Firefox.
>
> I think that one can limit the amount of RAM used by Firefox in the
> about:config settings. Google for details.

This is a neat trick.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/1327586/posts

no I don't endorse the politics of the site.  I found this on the
xubuntu breezy wiki.

I have used as little as 8 mb successfully.

--
Brian (not wanting to be a messiah): "You are all individuals..."
Crowd (in unison): "We are all individuals..."