[xubuntu-users] launching the Terminal results into logging in again

2g linux_thangs at yahoo.co.jp
Thu Jun 21 08:50:54 BST 2007

thanx!! i"ll keep this for when i do the clean Xubuntu install again...
frankly ... i also had to make Japanese language available on Xubuntu
but turned so lazy and installed the Japanese Version of Ubuntu
and did the apt-get install xubuntu-desktop thing

even in that case
the default terminal does the same behavior
but installing ATerm and choosing that as my terminal solved things for me

during the googling thing
i learned the followings
which is i'd rather do even if the terminal was healthy
cuz
i wanna be a CUI-DJ with Ubuntu-Studio
(now have to learn how to make the CUI terminal my default star-up
environment)

thanx for reply

--8<---

- another solution might be to log in to one of the VT's
When you loged in via gdm you may switch back to one of the VT's (Virtual
Terminals) VT1 to VT6. They are running all the time aside to your X-Window

session.
You will reach those VT's e.g. VT1 by pressing
<Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F1>
You will switch back to your running X-Window session by presing
<Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F7>

--8<---

--- Feliciano Garcia <felicianogarcia at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had that problem time ago... And the solution is Alt+F2 then run
> xterm,
> then edit your xorg.conf file change the DefaultDepth from 24 to
> 16... Later
> reboot your X...
>
> I hope this help you
>
> 2007/6/20, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell at gmail.com>:
> >
> > This seems to be a common problem identified by this bug report:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfce4-terminal/+bug/91849
> >
> > booting into an xterm session from the login session should allow
> the user
> > to implement the workaround . . .
> >
> > Jim

> > > Perhaps just press "Alt+F2" and then execute "aterm"?

2g---
http://micro.ispretty.com