[xubuntu-users] Performance problems on Xubuntu Edgy

Carsten Agger agger at c.dk
Sat Jun 9 10:00:39 BST 2007

jbrice at netscape.net skrev:
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 15:55:51 +0100
>> From: Radomir Dopieralski <xubuntu at sheep.art.pl>
>> Subject: Re: [xubuntu-users] Performance problems on Xubuntu Edgy
>> To: Xubuntu Help and User Discussions <xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>>
>> Dnia Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 06:51:29PM +0100, napisale(a)s:
>>> I should have seen a general slowdown due to the swapping. However,
>>> the Gimp should not have taken so many ressources as to make Firefox
>>> unavailable, and vice versa.
>> Well, Firefox is all nice and fast when you start it. But after a
>> while it starts to use more and more RAM for keeping the rendered
>> pages. Unless you limit its memory usage, it can easily use up all
>> your ram.
>>
>> Of course any program that would start then would be left with very
>> little ram for itself. Since the rendered pages are kept as X
>> reseources, they are technically being used all the time -- so no
>> swapping is really possible. This is of course a bug of the Firefox.
>>
>> I think that one can limit the amount of RAM used by Firefox in the
>> about:config settings. Google for details.
>
> This is a neat trick.
>
> http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/1327586/posts
>
> no I don't endorse the politics of the site.  I found this on the
> xubuntu breezy wiki.
>
> I have used as little as 8 mb successfully.

Actually, it turned out that my swap was configured incorrectly, so I
wasn't actually using swap. Each time memory consumption hit the
"ceiling", system performance would halt to a grind.

Why? Because of a "bug" or "feature" in the Dapper->Edgy upgrade.

The solution is described here:

and my system is now running smoothly even with many tabs open in
Firefox :-)

--
http://www.modspil.dk
- fordi tiden kræver et MODSPIL!