[xubuntu-users] macbook alike

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 01:49:04 UTC 2007

On 6/3/07, Allie Daneman <df at drainfade.com> wrote:

> You get what you pay for...if you want a rock solid laptop that 'just
> works' out of the box get a Thinkpad. If you wanna screw around and buy a
> machine that will break after being dropped once get something else ;)
> Adam Miller(maxamillion at gmail.com)@Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 08:08:48PM -0500:
> >
> >    Stay away from ThinkPads if you are worried about price. I would say
> >    check out [1]sonystyle.com ... sony has for a very long time tried to
> >    be the "apple of the pc world" as far as design style goes, it might
> >    be a good place to look (you are probably going to need to go with
> >    lower end parts to keep cost down, but form factor should be do-able)
> >    and as long as you stick with an intel pro wifi card, everything
> >    should work off a fresh installation
> >    -Adam

The Thinkpad R series is pretty good for the price.  You can get a decently
configured R60e for under / around $700.  I think it's kind of a cruel joke
that their base R60e comes with 512mb of RAM and Windows Vista Home Premium
by default.  That setup wouldn't run well at all.

Has Dell come up yet?  We are talking about laptops on an X/Ubuntu-related
mailing list, right?  Check out the inspiron e1505n with Ubuntu
pre-installed.

Unfortunately, in terms of appearance, I don't think that you'll find much
that will compare to the "cool" factor of a Mac.  I'm a fan of thinkpads,
though, because they have what I think are the best keyboards.

Have fun laptop hunting!

Jim