[xubuntu-users] Wireless card not recognised as wireless (shows as wired)

Vincent imnotb at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 13:37:38 UTC 2007

On 11/07/07, Nigel Wilkinson <nigel at waspz.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Guys
>
> a while ago I upgraded to Feisty from Xubuntu 6.10. In 6.10 my
> wireless card worked great but in feisty when I select system | network
> from the start menu it is seen as a wired connection even though the
> interface is seen as wlan0. This of course stops me configuring it.
>
> I have an IBM T23 and the wireless card is a Prism 2.5 (which as a good
> record of working with Linux) and I have had working on various distros
> as well as Xubuntu 6.10.
>
> Anyone know how to get round this?

Well, as a temporary workaround (there should be a good way though) you
could try to boot into the 6.10 livecd, configure your network from there,
then copy the file /etc/network/interfaces to a USB drive or something
(perhaps email it to yourself) and then on your 7.04 installation replace
the /etc/network/interfaces file with the one you copied from the 6.10livecd.

Cheers

--
Vincent