[xubuntu-users] CD Booting turns off monitor

bassix bassix at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 19:42:58 UTC 2007

..."doing 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xorg-server' and specifying the correct
values for horizontal and vertical refresh should fix your problem."

I did try that, however how do I restart X? As root I typed "startx" after
doing the reconfigure, but it complained that the xserver was still
running. I ogirinally got to the prompt with CTRL-ALT-F1, as
CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE did not do anything. Is there another keystroke I
should be aware of to properly stop the xserver? Or can I add something to
the CD boot to start in a lower (shell only) runlevel? I am doing this all
 from live CD...

Thanks for your help. It sort of sucks as I was looking forward to giving
xubuntu a try... unfortunately, usually when a distro doesn't work at this
point, most people will just go to something else, as there are a lot of
other choices out there. I'm hanging in a bit longer... :-)

-Steve.