[xubuntu-users] xbuntu desktop crash after boot from suspend

Adam Miller maxamillion at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 19:49:46 UTC 2007

Skip,
     To see what version of Xfce you are running click Applications->About
Xfce ... if you are running Edgy it should say "version 4.3.99.1 (Xfce
4.4BETA2)". I don't know off the top of my head what it will say for
Dapper (I
just copied and pasted that line from my "about Xfce" window). If you would
like to install Xfce4.4 Stable manually, it can be done from
www.xfce.organd there is a user friendly graphical installer to make
the process as
painless as possible.

-Adam

On 1/28/07, Skip Evans <skip at bigskypenguin.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I have a similar condition on my brand new install
> of Xu. I leave my machine here at home on all the
> time. Last night I let it go to sleep by itself, but
> this morning when trying to wake it up the way I
> usually do by rattling the mouse, it would not wake
> up the screen, and the light on the monitor stayed
> yellow, not going green, and the screen stayed blank.
>
> I ended up having to reboot the machine... *ouch!!!*
>
> has anyone else experienced this with Xu? Is there a
> fix?
>
> I see below Adam recommends installing Xcfe 4.4. How
> can we tell what version we have, and were do we get
> the new one, if I need it?
>
> Thanks!
> Skip
>
> Adam Miller wrote:
> > Honestly, I think this just might be an issue of bad implementation of
> > the suspend function or possibly its combination with xfce. I appears
> > that there is a memory leak somewhere in xfce after you come back from
> > the suspend, it might be possible that it is an issue with the fact that
> > Xubuntu dapper and edgy were both technically xfce4.4 beta releases
> > (xfce4.4 stable was just recently released an will be part of the next
> > Xubuntu release, code named feisty).
> >
> > I unfortunately don't know how you would go about fixing this, but you
> > would try installing the new xfce 4.4 stable release manually and seeing
> > if there is any improvement.
> >
> > -Adam
> >
> > On 1/28/07, *solotim* <solotim.cn at gmail.com
> > <mailto:solotim.cn at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     hehe.OK.
> >     I am really eager to be helped.Because I love Xu.
> >
> >     On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 00:06:25 -0700
> >     Skip Evans <skip at bigskypenguin.com <mailto:skip at bigskypenguin.com>>
> >     wrote:
> >
> >      > I'm sorry. That was a lame attempt at humor.
> >      >
> >      > solotim wrote:
> >      > > What's your meaning?
> >      > >
> >      > > On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 23:55:09 -0700
> >      > > Skip Evans <skip at bigskypenguin.com
> >     <mailto:skip at bigskypenguin.com>> wrote:
> >      > >
> >      > >> I think you're machine went out partying last night.
> >      > >> This is clearly a bad case of computer hangover.
> >      > >>
> >      > >> Is your car low on gas? Are there any empty beer
> >      > >> cans in the back seat?
> >      > >>
> >      > >> Look for signs of lady laptops sneaking out early in
> >      > >> the morning before you got out of bed.
> >      > >>
> >      > >> solotim wrote:
> >      > >>> ok.
> >      > >>> it's Xubuntu Edgy.
> >      > >>> My computer is Dell Latitude C600 Laptop.
> >      > >>> I'm new to xubuntu, so i did nothing to it's configuration.
> >      > >>> I just suspended it yesterday and press Enter to wake it up
> >     today.
> >      > >>>
> [...]

-=:Max:=-
--OpenPGP key: 5DBFA065--