[xubuntu-users] Xu vs. 486DX2

Joshua Gardner mellowcellofellow at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 21:17:48 UTC 2007

You want floppies, Debian Net-install is great. Got it running on a Pentium
I without X as a DNS, DHCP, CUPS, Samba, and Apache Webserver. Works great.

With Debian Net-install, you image three floppies, boot, root, and NIC
drivers. It then downloads the installer program and everything else as it
goes, leaving you with a very basic system by default, but giving you the
option to install servers and desktops, etc.

While not as fast as installing a with CD's, it's an excellent installation
method. I wish Ubuntu offered it.

Also, Puppy runs fine on this machine, DSL wouldn't boot cause of the
ISOLINUX bootloader that is default. There is a SYSLINUX version that is for
hardware that doesn't like ISOLINUX, but my CD burner broke, so I resorted
to floppies.