[xubuntu-users] Xu vs. 486DX2

michael at michaelshiloh.com michael at michaelshiloh.com
Wed Feb 21 17:09:04 UTC 2007

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, jbrice at netscape.net wrote:

>> From: michael at michaelshiloh.com
>
>> I think DSL uses a 2.4 kernel to save space. Don't know how you feel
>> about it, but I wasn't interested in going there.
>
> They still make new versions of both the 2.2 and 2.4 kernels and those
> kernels simply support old hardware better for understandable reasons.

Good point, and I appreciate your bringing it to my attention. I will try DSL
after all.

>> Puppy has very good reviews, although I wasn't able to get it running
>> on my
>> 486. Could well be my error, not a fault of puppy or the computer.
>
> The latest versions of puppy require ideally a pentium II according to
> the system requirements.

Ah! That may be it.

Speaking of which, I constantly get confused by the names
486/586/pentium/I/II/II/Celeron/etc/etc. Can someone point me at a simple
definitive list? Wikipedia has quite an extensive section on the Intel x86
family but I still was confused at the end.

I guess I need to know not only what processor is in what family, but what the
order is, so I can tell if something is "Pentium II or better".

For example, I boot up my old Dell 3000. It claims to have processor X. Puppy
requires Pentium II. Is processor X in the Pentium II family (or better)?

TIA,
Michael

> --
>
> Brian (not wanting to be a messiah): "You are all individuals..."
> Crowd (in unison): "We are all individuals..."
> Monty Python's "Life Of Brian"

And then one guy stands up and says "I'm not!"

One of my all-time favorite lines, one of my all-time favorite movies. Thanks!