[xubuntu-users] Xu vs. 486DX2

Graeme Pietersz fgpietersz at uk2.net
Wed Feb 21 16:01:48 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 20 February 2007 22:53, michael at michaelshiloh.com wrote:
> I think DSL uses a 2.4 kernel to save space. Don't know how you feel about
> it, but I wasn't interested in going there.

The DSL wiki justifies the decision to use 2.4 here:

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ#Will_DSL_ever_use_the_2.6_kernel.3F_Has_it_even_been_considered.3F

I do not know enough to know if their reasoning is correct, but it sounds
convincing.

> Puppy has very good reviews, although I wasn't able to get it running on my
> 486. Could well be my error, not a fault of puppy or the computer.

I have used Puppy off a live CD on about six different machines, with no
problems. All were PIIs or better though.

Does this machine have a network connection? I notice no one has suggested it,
is there any reason it would be a bad idea? Installing over a LAN may be less
painful than using pile of floppies.

Graeme