[xubuntu-users] Sharing printers

ono devo onodevo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 23:52:06 UTC 2007

On 2/1/07, Skip Evans <skip at bigskypenguin.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I created the file on the client at:
>
> ServerName 192.168.0.7
>
> (as this is the IP of the machine with the printer)

You may want to try the following, although cups should know it's own
port number:

ServerName 192.168.0.7:631

> But it still does not print to the remote machine.
> I pulled up printer config on the remote machine
> and all it allows now is the 'Goto Server' button,
> it does not allow a local one, which is fine since
> there is no local one.

You shouldn't need to change anything on the cups config hosting the
printer. If anything. You might need to edit the config to allow
sharing, as Josh suggested. Change /etc/cupsd.conf to look something
like this:

<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 192.168.0.*
</Location>

With the above setup, you should be able to browse the printers from
your browser on anycomputer on the network with http://192.168.0.7:631

<snip>