[xubuntu-users] update-notifier

Vincent imnotb at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 12:12:55 BST 2007

On 09/08/07, David Collins <dcolli22 at csc.com.au> wrote:

> For general information ..
>
> In a fresh install of Feisty Xubuntu, I chose in Software Sources -
> Updates/Check for Updates.  After a time, I realized that this wasn't
> happening.  I found that update-notifier was not installed - installing
> this fixed the problem without me doing anything else - working nicely
> now.
>
> The small downside is that when you install update-notifier, you download
> quite a few gnome components in the process.  Maybe that is why it is not
> installed as part of the Xubuntu OS install ?
>
> Does anyone know the history of this ?
> (I guess it would be nice to have an xfce4-based update-notifier?)

If I recall correctly, the Gnome dependencies of update-notifier were
negligible (e.g. because they already come default or something). That's why
the Xfce update-notifier wasn't packaged.

The update-notifier ought to have been installed by default, but because it
was marked as "recommends" instead of "depends" or something this didn't
happen, but that should be fixed for Gutsy.

If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Regards,

--
Vincent