[xubuntu-users] Upgrade

Adam Miller maxamillion at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 06:00:01 UTC 2007

No offense, but software has come a long way in "years" and thus their
download size has become larger so in the event your internet connection is
lacking then it will take quite some time to download. Please also note that
the servers are still under considerable load due to the recent release of
the official images and therefore your upgrade time probably will not be as
stellar is it possibly could be.

Another thing to take into consideration is that distros such as debian,
slackware, arch, gentoo, etc. do not come default with all the packages that
*buntu variants do that gear the distro towards the desktop as its main
operating platform and will result in many less default packages and also in
less data to download (note that gentoo's download would be fast because the
source packages are generally small but the compile time will require some
patience).

-Adam

http://wiki.ubuntu.com/AdamMiller