Addition of a music player app

Stephen Kellat alpacaherder at live.com
Mon May 17 20:55:33 UTC 2021

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 02:35:51PM -0400, Yousuf Philips wrote:
> As part of my research[1] of other flavors and Xfce distros, it was clear that Xubuntu was missing a music player app, as parole isn't a suitable replacement. Xubuntu previously shipped the Exaile music player until 2016, as it became unmaintained. Here
> are some possible music players that can be added to the next release of Xubuntu.

Exaile is out as an option for the foreseeable future as Debian remains in "Hard Freeze" until bullseye releases.  I don't think we want to carry a delta in Ubuntu by having it as an Ubuntu-specific package.  Depending upon how long Debian's freeze takes we could end up carrying that delta for some time.

Pragha looks interesting and I may install it on the bare metal box I just installed Impish on to test.  I'll probably download some 78 RPM record tracks from the Internet Archive to use for playback testing.  The Stamps-Baxter Quartet would work nicely, I think.

Rhythmbox is old faithful.  Worst comes to worst we can bring it back.  It would at least get the job done.

That's the most feedback I can offer at this hour.

Stephen Michael Kellat