[Team Vote] Various updates to the Xubuntu Seed

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Thu Jul 15 11:35:54 UTC 2021

Greetings Sean,

Sean Davis wrote:

> Addition of disk utilities (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-meta/+bug/1934932, https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-devel/2020-March/011877.html)
> - gnome-disk-utility
> - baobab

I had never heard of either. Both earn +1 from me.

I thought for disk space usage I needed to rely on du -h only! Thanks for these suggestions!

> Addition of music player (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-meta/+bug/1934926, https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-devel/2021-May/012062.html)
> - rhythmbox, or
> - pragha

+1 for rhythmbox

> Clipman and Appmenu Plugin, installed but not added to panel by default (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-meta/+bug/1934925,
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-devel/2021-April/012055.html)
> - xfce4-appmenu-plugin
> - xfce4-clipman-plugin

So I always add back the Application Menu and Actions Buttons items... Application Menu at the far left / Action Buttons at the far right... to bring back the Xubuntu what was it 12.04 look... when
ever Ubuntu LTS did that Unity UI decision and I jumped (fled) from Gnome to Xfce! And I still add back to new Xubuntu installations the bottom panel that was present in that version.... useful icons,
and I currently increase the workspaces to 16.

I do not add clipman, but I do know people who add it / make use of it.

I would say since the standard is to use Wiskers menu... I vote to leave the layout on the top bar alone, and to leave those two packages getting installed so they are convenient to simply add back to
the panel.

Also I add System Load Monitor to my top bar / right side.... to keep an eye on CPU and memory use.

> Games (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-meta/+bug/1916991)
>
> Remove: gnome-mines gnome-sudoku
> Add: four-in-a-row gnome-chess gnome-nibbles quadrapassel

"With all the work I have to do, I do not have time for games." Famous quote at the close of a David Barnes OS/2 commercial! ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8SPhq-OJ1E

I suggest leave mines and sudoku present, OK for adding the suggested games.

I am thankful,

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems