Repo issues in 16.04.5LTS

lukshuntim at gmail.com lukshuntim at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 07:16:06 UTC 2019

On 8/4/2019 9:41 AM, Lutz Andersohn wrote:
> All,
> I am wondering whether anybody else has these issues:
> I did a fresh install of 16.04.5LTS.
> updated my repositories
> - I cannot install gimp. Broken packages because libgegl. It essentially
> conflicts with its own libgegl-dev package
> - I cannot install build-essential: conflict with the installed gcc and
> libstdc6 and the -dev. There is no way to resolve these packages that I
> can see.
> affects any package that even remotely depends on any of these.
> I tried archive.ubuntu.com/archive <http://archive.ubuntu.com/archive>
> and us.ubuntu.archive.com/archive <http://us.ubuntu.archive.com/archive>
> with the same sad outcome.
> Some posts on for example askubuntu have been shown down as being not
> reproducible.
> Trust me, it's very reproducible for those effected by it and makes this
> version basically useless for me.
> For example,HPLIP requires build-essential, so I cannot even set up my
> printer.
>

> Any help would be appreciated (and I do not consider "upgrade to 18.04"
> any help at all)
>
> Lutz Andersohn

Hi Lutz,

There're so many variations in installation that without all the details
it might hard to reproduce, or even to know, what happened. I can assure
you that gimp on xubuntu 16.04 lts does worked. :-)

 From your information on the conflicts (gcc versions incompatible, ...)
there might be a lot of mess to clean up. Maybe your 16.04.5 installer
is already too old (released on 2018-07-31) to catch up with all the
upgrades. Instead of looking for solutions to clean up, it may save you
time by trying a complete new install (Don't install over. Format the
partitions again.) with the latest 16.04.6 iso (released 2019-02-27).

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/16.04/release/

Regards,
-- st